Friday, September 13, 2024

Another Relapse

 When living with a genetic disorder, life is very precious.  We notice every little detail of our health, because it so drastically impacts the quality of life.  Just seven years ago, I was able to move around in a somewhat normal fashion.  Since then, my health has progressively deteriorated.  Nowadays, I wonder which day will be my last.

Here I am, awake at 03:14, awake for the past couple of hours.  I woke to spasms in my diaphragm, similar to hiccups, only they spasm multiple times in a row, or a constant spasm or cramp, that stops breathing.  It is amazing, how fast a person wakes up from a sound sleep, when you cannot breathe!  At the moment, I am waiting for the muscle relaxant to kick in.  My diaphragm is still cramping, but only a few seconds at a time, so I just wait to breathe, trying desperately not to panic.

There has only been a couple times in my life where my chest and/or diaphragm has cramped for so long that I have collapsed.  Fortunately, the cramp released in time for me to continue breathing, because I had no one to give me artificial respiration.  

I really did not expect my health to get this bad again.  It always happens when I cannot take care of myself.  As others with A1AD, I also need a proper diet, lifestyle, and medication to manage the genetic disorder, and when I cannot live that way, that is when this happens.  I realize I am being vaugue in my descriptions of what is happening with this genetic disorder.  Perhaps, within the next few days, I will be more specific, so others may learn about the difficulty of living with this disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment